How can one add file types to open

It seams that Kanboard allows only to open a few fileytypes directly:

e. g. PDF (or pictures)
grafik

But e. g. not an E-Mail or Calc Sheet
grafik

Where can i change / configure this?

In general i would think the browser should open everything that the user has defined in his browser settings. This means if it is an .xlsx file type it is hand over to the browser and the user decides zu start Excel directly with that file.

I use often E-Mails as documentation attachment and is very annoying to save first and then open that in the location where it has been saved /and maybe delete it afterwards. Other webbased tools allow e. g. open an e-mail attachment directly (goes over to Outlook, after a confirm request from the browser).

Hints?

Cheers, Fx

1 Like

We got solutions for similar RfEs:

2 Likes

Hi RainerBielefeld,

thanks for your hint. I will take a closer look. Especially because I am curious :smile:

I was looking for that browser dialog box and i thought it depended on Kanboard. But that’s wrong.

One can simply in any browser decide how to handle a file type. I know that but did not take into account that this may vary in the settings from testsystem to main system :smile:

I fixed to for me (Firefox):

That is what i was aiming vor:
grafik

And in the setting “General” for Firefox i can setup “Open with Application”, “Ask me everytime” or “Downlaod”. For every known filetype.

grafik

and i can setup what to do with filetypes that are not setup / knwn:

grafik

And that was set to “Download always” (first option of that two).

My fault.

Anyway thanks again!

1 Like

Yes, Browser Settings is a workaround which in most cases might work. Especially this “show email” need might be´not very common.
But for Users with not so much tech. / IT knowledge it probably is worrying to sometimes see “open”, sometimes not, sometimes a preview, sometimes not. Especially for all rather common image formats which can be shown in every browser we should have the “show” option for file attachments.

I will I continue to follow this over the next few days.

1 Like

Hi RainerBielefeld,

yes you are right: it is a workaround and i have the same concerns. If i can help somehow: please let me know!

Cheers, Fx