Usability of Kanboard UI

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, you are right.

I have begun project just as theme for Kanboard. However i fastly understood that to change CSS styles is not enough. It is very important to make interface interactive. React is really good library to do this.

Kanboard very powerful from functionality point of view, but it takes more time to change something (task name, due date, assignee).

You are right. Kanboard offers excellent features in terms of project or task control.

But in terms of UI and UX it is old-fashioned. That is a pity.

I still dream of a Kanboard 2.0, where then the interface topics are lifted to a current state.

This would also include a modern website. The current one seems a bit loveless and doesn’t do justice to Kanboard.

There are many, especially smaller companies that have not heard of Kanban or MS-Teams and the like. Or who cannot or are not allowed to use cloud-based tools. They are waiting for such tools like Kanboard. Still.

The potential to bring Kanboard further is definitely there.

2 Likes

I would rather advise you to add Kanboard. What you are doing is a new development.

A single person can’t do that in the long run. Not even two or three.

With a team of people to make something like Kanboad fresh again should be more a realistic possibility to hold promptly a great tool in hands.

My2cents.

Cheers, Fx

1 Like

Blockquote
I still dream of a Kanboard 2.0, where then the interface topics are lifted to a current state.

Kanboard could be a backend part. Frontend independently could be built with any modern JS library.
Key issue that frontend development will take a lot of time and equal to development of new software.

Blockquote
There are many, especially smaller companies … who cannot or are not allowed to use cloud-based tools. They are waiting for such tools like Kanboard. Still.

This is the reason why I want to provide self-hosted project management tool.

Blockquote
A single person can’t do that in the long run. Not even two or three.

I agree. I know few modern projects and they have less functions then my app.

1 Like

So you started your own standalone software project from scratch, instead of working with an existing codebase to fix issues… :person_facepalming: Well… see “Things You Should Never Do, Part I – Joel on Software”.

In the meantime, in the span of a couple of months, the Tiki project implemented a preliminary kanban feature (see also the separate thread I posted about that, to keep things short here). In Tiki’s case, I trust it will still be around many years down the road, because it does have a large team of people maintaining the whole thing.

:+1:

Great article. More then 22 years old and still so true.

I think it is a big difference between two things “to write from the scratch software with same functionality” and “to write from the scratch software with completely different UI and UX” based on modern JS library.

it would have been better if you forked Kanboard and improved on that

your justification is still baseless… you have spent 2 years leading everyone to expect a theme

2 Likes