Kanboard Development - rules of a thumb available?

Hi,

i’am pretty new to Kanboard (not to Kanban) and i like the concept and features very much. Also the easy administration / the whole concept.

I’am not bad in programming things, but i’am not used to php and more bad not used to the concepts used in Kanboard development especially plugins and the hooks needed to extent things.

Is there a very basic “rules of a thumb” available? Something that may help an experienced programmer, not a noob, to help to expand things?

An example could be: i wan’t be able to view an attached document. At the moment i can only download it. Or i want to have a hover on the comments icon and display all the comments so far, add colors for the tasks … etc. etc.

Cheers, fx

the docs kind of help, but not really.

I think the best guide, to move you along, would be other peoples plugins. study them.

2 Likes

That’s right. It’s what i’am doing so far :sweat_smile:

Anyway more help is more help :grin:

1 Like
1 Like

Already found that :upside_down_face: :+1:

Thanks!

great, star the repository, then I wont keep reminding you haha

Good to know. And stared :rofl:

if you ever get stumped feel free to add me to a repo, and i can assist.

2 Likes

Hey there FxFx and welcome to Kanboard :grinning:

If you ever come across the need to write a plugin that requires it’s own cronjob, then you might want to take a look at my skeletons for that. I released those, back when I was trying to figure out how to write own cronjobs and didn’t find much in the docs.

When it comes to translations for plugins … I wrote a little command-line tool to help with that task:

And just like creecros mentioned … I also think the best way to learn writing kb-plugins is by studying the code of other existing plugins.

Have fun and cheers,
Manfred

2 Likes

Thanks to both of you!

Good to know that there still people active helping to make Kanboard even better :upside_down_face:

Any help is very appreciated and i will come back to this in the event of a case!

Cheers, fx

1 Like

Kanboard is very active, but just like the docs and the readmes… the perception is stale.

thats nice, I will look into those, thanks

I think these, and my own skeleton plugin should be mentioned in the submitting plugin readme so that new plugin developers or even existing have a point of reference.