Kanboard VS Competitors

That’s not possible as far as i can say. Never the less: Kanboard is an outstanding tool in the projectmanagement environment. That’s something i think i can say for sure.

Cheers, Fx

1 Like

Cheers, Fx

90% of IT guys who do normal IT shit, don’t have a clue what docker is, or so has been my experience in life, thus it is not favored, because they got to learn something new. But it’s not for everyone, some people like to make things difficult, makes them feel needed, to each his own though.

That said, if you are just running 1 instance of KB for personal use, and a few team members, who cares how you run it. If your plan is to develop plugins or test code on KB, then by far I would argue that Docker is the way to go. Can switch KB version on the fly, Can have All DB options running as containers to also switch on the fly, Can edit code directly in real time, Can run multiple instances of any versions at the same time with any combination of databases while editing the code directly affecting every single instance simultaneously, can change OS, Webserver, or any other possible scenario with ease for more advanced testing or problem solving, instant error logs to each container, instant command line interface to each container, honestly it’s like a development dream. I enjoy it so much, that I don’t even use kanbaord, at all, and only write plugins just for the docker dev experience…period.

And not to mention, Kanboard Docker is built and maintained so well, that you never have to do jack shit to it, throughout each version of KB, you will never have to worry about updating PHP or any dependencies, or deal with any hassle of moving files installing this or that…I push 3 buttons, and thats it, done, welcome to your new kanboard experiance.

2 Likes

Thank you very much.

Do you have any idea if Pomo can come?

What skills are required to successfully maintain Kanboard installation and updates without docker?

I’m trying auto installer script for now with several plugins with hope that automatic updater won’t break installation and plugins.

seems like a question for someone who does it without docker.

I thought you were not using docker.

well im no developer, i learn as i go along…

I have kanboard on a domain on a linux ubuntu vps, simply a case of uploading the files, updating the config and login. everything else comes from plugins depending on your use case.

I havent updated kanboard in years, yes i need to keep an eye on my vps, but kanboard updates are not that much of an issue. if you got the right plugins, which have massively improved in the last few months, then there is never really a problem… just keep your server up to date, which is not really to do with kanboard.

Have you actually used/tried kanboard yet? or are you just weighing the pros and cons?

You are the perfect docker use case scenario.

1. Has no test servers
  2. Writes plugins based on old kb version
  3. Only ever test with mysql
  4. 1 php version

You are killing me!

1 Like

hahaha clemson oranges coming at you

VPS is overkill for me, I’m trying on shared hosting’s automatic installer.

I think Kanboard has no alternative for several reasons:

• Available on shared hosting’s automatic installers
  • Has been around over a decade, very well-established
  • Open source and collaborative effort to make tool more effective
  • Easy to install, maintain and docker is not a requirement

I don’t understand how can companies use tools like Trello after reading their privacy policy.

I don’t use Docker. I would say there’s a learning curve to get a web server running with PHP and the other requirements Kanboard has. You’ll need to be OK with using the command line and installing and configuring software and services. If you want to use a database server instead of sqlite you’ll also need to know how to use the database. If you want to run Kanboard behind a reverse proxy, you’ll need to know how to do that. If you want to run Kanboard with HTTPS, you’ll need to know how to set that up (though caddy is a pretty good option for the last two things). Now that I’ve written all that out (and I’ve probably forgotten some things), Docker’s probably the way to go :joy:

Once you get through all that though the maintenance is pretty low effort and doesn’t require much knowledge. In my web root I have a symlink from “kanbaord” to the latest version I have installed. When a new version is released, I un-tar it in the web root, shutdown the web server, copy a few things over, change the symlink to point to the new directory, and restart the web server. I wrote a script to do that and it takes a second or two. You can manage the vast majority of the rest of Kanboard through the web interface.

1 Like

Okay, thanks for the info.

Can you please share the plugins you recommend here?

I’m cherry-picking plugins that won’t break anything after updates.

After trying popular closed source bloatware, which keeps me coming back to Kanboard,
now I appreaciate your comment more.

2 Likes

Experience is the best teacher…

1 Like