How can we improve KANBOARD Plugins information?

We discussed at some places here on discourse which plugins are more useful and which ones less, how to improve information about the plugins, answered questions concerning recommended plugins, and similar.

Info at the plugins download page is very “basic”, sometimes misleading, and also often outdated. Hipchat has become discontinued some years ago … And also on the github pages there mostly is no useful information except installation manual.
How can we improve information concerning Kanboard Plugins?

• Improve information on the Download page
    • But currently it seems to bi impossible to add issues to GitHub Website repo? So it might be impossible to do so,
  • Or should we use any other existing KANBOARD infrastructure?
    • alfredb suggested discourse. Advantage: Does exist, no additional user account required. But does there exist some collaboration tool like a Wiki so that multiple users can work on a common text?
  • Any other suggestions?
2 Likes

Well, it could be easy, but isn’t.
To be honest, I doubt whether it’s worth the effort. Please keep in mind, that many of the plugins are death, orphaned, completely unsupported. Of course, you or we could create a wiki or somewhere, devoted to that topic. Here I’ve to confess, that I made some terrible experiences with wikis and forums in the past. The amount of time for administration and moderation cannot be negated. Someone must be responsible for that publication, and keep it clean. Without that, it would be flooded with garbage eventually. Personally, I’m not very interested and don’t want to spend my time for such tasks.

Back to this forum: Why not creating a dedicated thread for each interesting plugin of interest? Every user could amend his experience or thoughts relating to that particular plugin. The OP of the thread could summarize the user amendments by editing the initial post. Just an idea, not so brilliant.

PS: I’ll be off for app two weeks. Thus, the follow-up might be postponed.

3 Likes

I will try to deliver somesmaller patches for the Plugins Web Page, plugins.html and plugins.json:

• Add new Plugins (AddMermaid, AutomaticActionUXm)
  • Addsome comments (“obsolete”).
    Will be more a HowTo training for me than real progress.

BTW, my plugin directory is broken now. Anyone else?

1 Like

I think this is MY FAULT… I missed a comma when submitting both my plugins to the json file… I’ve submitted the fix, waiting for it to be merged. I think that should make your directory, mine and everybody else who may be having the issue workable again. I hope so anyway.

My apologies…

1 Like

Yes, I saw your request. I still wonder, how an unverified JSON file got merged… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

‘Last Updated’ would be a good indication of how often or recent the plugin was updated… but I dont think that information is available anywhere other than manual pull requests.

1 Like

I am currently comparing

My comparison results

Explications:

• Both columns Webpage, but not Kanboard Directory and Kanboard Directory, but not Web page with contents: Different name for the same plugin
  • only 1 column with name: Plugin missing in other listing

Listings comparison

Webpage, but not Kanboard Directory Kanboard Directory, but not Web page Remark Status
Assign due date when moving card to specified column 2022-10-29
Back to Top and Bottom buttons Bak2topbotm 2022-10-29
Beanstalk 2022-10-29
Blueboard 2022-10-29
Broadcast 2022-10-29
Budget 2022-10-29
CardPushDate Card Push Date - and other actions 2022-10-29
Client SSL Certificate Authentication 2022-10-29
ClearDueDateTaskNotMovedColumn 2022-10-29
Comment Tooltip 2022-10-29
Commenting only for Project Viewers Comment Only Restrictions for Project Viewers 2022-10-29
Database Storage 2022-10-29
Encrypted Content EncryptedContent 2022-10-29
xxx 2022-10-29
Extend comment by email extendedMail 2022-10-29
GitHub Frontend 2022-10-29
GrabScroll 2022-10-29
Gravatar 2022-10-29
Group assignment for tasks Group_assign 2022-10-29
Hipchat Probably outdated. Remove? 2022-10-29
Import user with group ImportWithGroup 2022-10-29
Instant Actions for Kanboard Tasks 2022-10-29
Outlook 2022-10-29
Postmark 2022-10-29
QuaCICD 2022-10-29
RabbitMQ 2022-10-29
Relation Graph 2022-10-29
Reverse-Proxy Authentication with LDAP user provider 2022-10-29
Sendgrid 2022-10-29
SMS Two-Factor Authentication 2022-10-29
Sort Board by Dates 2022-10-29
Sound Notification SoundNotification 2022-10-29
Subtask Due Date SubtaskDueDate 2022-10-29
Subtask Forecast 2022-10-29
Synology Chat SynologyChat 2022-10-29
Task Board Date 2022-10-29
Timetable 2022-10-29
Time Interval Button Task Interval Button 2022-10-29
Time Machine: Back to the Future Plugin to add time machine : Back to the Future 2022-10-29
Update Notifier UpdateNotifier 2022-10-29
WeeklyRecurringTasks Duplicate Tasks by nightly Cron Job 2022-10-29
Wunderlist 2022-10-29
Group owners Group_owners 2022-10-29
Activitystream diff Activity Diff 2022-10-29
SubtaskDescription 2022-10-29
Taglist 2022-10-29

Research is done

Additional Info:

• Web Page on Github
  • Plugins Directory is within KANBOARD installation. Github??

I’ll leave a comment here when I will have completed comparison so that we can discuss further proceeding.

1 Like

Do we have additinal information concerning particular plugins?

• outdated
  • destroys installation
  • bad interadtion with plugin …
  • requires …

Or do you find mistakes in my table? It was somestupid work, attention goes down aftera while …

For me, good indicators for the quality of a plugin might be:

• Date of the last commit
  • Number of open issues
  • Number of open pull requests and their age
  • Respond time of the creator or maintainer.

With this information, I can decide whether a plugin is completely unmaintained and/or a zombie without any support.

1 Like

+1.
But I’m afraid all that information needs to be added manually …

From where is additional info in the Plugins Directory taken? Related to plugins.json?

I can create a plugin to improve the installed plugins and their related information as best as possible? But that will only be good for existing users with Kanboard installed.

Whilst the words ‘maintenance mode’ are in the main repository, it is very discouraging to people to develop and code. A new release/updates are being done so the maintenance mode is just a put off. Also as a result, nobody would waste time trying to improve the public information simply because with a cold approach we dont know if we are allowed to make changes to the frontend website. Takes a lot of time to restyle/redesign to improve end user workflows and if the pull requests get declined then its not good.

2 Likes

That would be great. But as you said, efford/profit relation …
I haven’t a clue how many users might be intereested. But on the ogher hand, with better information, more users might be interested in using KANBOARD …

1 Like

I’ve started the plugin but it will be a slow work in progress as a few of my other plugins need to be completed.

1 Like

KanboardPluginsUX isnotvisible in my Plugins Directory, so I

1. downloaded .zip
  2. unzipped
  3. Transferred folder “KanboardPluginsUX-master” to plugins folder of installation at all-inkl.com

Unfortunately the plugin will not be recognized by KANBOARD. I only get tons of debug messages like “[2022-10-30 18:15:26] [critical] KanboardPluginsUX-master: Unable to load this plugin class: \Kanboard\Plugin\KanboardPluginsUX-master\Plugin”

easy…slow down…

the plugin is just created as a structure yet… NO version has been released - hence all your errors.

1 Like

I only sent the link in the forum so you could monitor the progress… once it is ready, I will publish a release and then I submit to the KB Directory. Thats my routine.

1 Like

For me, the term “maintenance mode” only means that there will be no active development for any enhancements or new features. Since my boarding to KB, there were at least 4 new versions, even in maintenance mode. And that’s fully OK, IMHO, KB is feature complete. Everything beyond that cam be done by plugins.

1 Like

agreed but also disagreed… not feature complete for new users unknown to Kanboard.

1 Like