Taglist Plugin: Possible to mark global tags as "inactive" without deleting?

Hello,
we are trying kanboard for our company (30 people, plant construction sector) and have decided to use one board per department.
In order to get overview of projects we would use bigboard plugin and taglist plugin, so that projects are entries in the global taglist and each task is tagged with its related project. Then the project manager can use bigboard and filter for his project tag and identify tasks lagging behind.

Now, sales is using new project tags for their quotations, and many of them are inactive for quite some time and show up only after 2 or 3 years again. In order not to clutter the global taglist it would be nice to have the option to mark tags as “inactive” so that they do not clutter the tag selection dialog. I do not want to delete them because then I lose all the project connection of old tasks.

Anybody have an idea if this can be done with limited effort?

Hi Stephan,

I think best way would be to enhance the kanboard core.

Implementing this feature into my plugin would require some core overwrites, which reduces the campatibility with other plugins.

The core enhancement shouldn’t be a big deal, the question is, if this feature is required by the majority of the userbase.

Regards,
Timo

Hi Timo,

To be honest I was hoping for your feedback.

Sounds like a major process to convince the core developers that a majority of the userbase would need that.

Then still is the question on who would have the knowledge and capacity to implement it.

Maybe another way is to just implement it and send it to the core developers so they can consider to use it for the next core or not.

So, here is the question: Could you develop something like this? Can you give me an idea of cost involved?

Feel free to mail or call me using the data below – I think we can talk german as well, correct?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / with kind regards

Stephan Koepp

image001.jpg

Hm, I notice my question above has been raised earlier, for example here:
https://kanboard.discourse.group/t/hide-archive-old-tags/885
However, apparently nobody took up the ball.
As we are about to decide to use kanboard in our company, there might be a budget for implementing this.
Anybody interested?

@fred what to you think about this feature? If it is fine for you, I will send a PR.

Dear Timo,
thank you for your quick action - I would highly appreciate if this could make it to the main program.
Best regards
Stephan

one suggestion regarding this feature could be also to have the possibility to archive also projects related tags

I will take a look into this after my vacation.

So, and while we are at it I have the next point for the wishlist:
I notice when I try to assign a tag and start typing to search for it ther is always the possibility that I hit return on what I typed instaed of selecting one of the possibilities shown.
This will silently create a new tag which is local to the board where I typed.

I would rather have a popup asking if I want a) a local tag, b) a global tag or c) abort

I believe that again this is not part of the plugin but of the core implementation, right?

Hi Timo,
just being curious - is there any feedback about whether this feature could make it to the core?
And does anybody know how to move the whole thread to “feature request”?

Hello all,
I have to come back to this and need some help - can I do anything to promote this? Should I open a seperate feature request?

Hey,

I’m very busy at the moment, so I can’t provide a pull request.

Maybe some other dev could provide a solution.

Regards,
Timo

Ok, hope it is a good sign that you are busy, Timo.

Since this issue is not related to your plugin anyway I will open a feature request for the main code and hope someone knowledgable will pick up the ball.